Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wikis -Create/Great tool!

I think as teachers in the making we join the 'force' with the intention to bring or as I am fast learning to facilitate change in our learners but not realizing that in the end you experience change or are forced to change in order to achieve or even grow as an individual.
I have decided to create a wiki with my students(student-centered) input next week so as to hopeful motivate them to read and write more(something they need to work on).
I have already started implementing the action plan and after looking at my students Naplan results(last years) I now understand that they definitely need to read and write more and what better way to do it but on wiki, which will also be available to the school and parents(save on paper hence the environment-related to our topic).
I met the students two weeks ago and know that to be able to engage them, ICTs are a definite yes and in this case because we want to be able to Relate-Create-Donate and what better way than to use the wiki.The Learning Engagement theory is the best approach to be able to engage students in real authentic tasks, and as the topic is on Biodiversity we will be definitely setting a good example by being the class that is choosing to go paperless on this activity with the intention of donating also through our wiki.The other teachers and parents can follow the progress from home without receiving paper mail.Well that is my plan anyway checkout my blog next week for the update on our wiki(grade 8).
Saidah
Grade 8
Lighthouse Christian School,Rocky

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Wiki's can be a great tool but cations needs to be taken to in making sure that the students remain protected, any public appreciable web sites have the potential for safety problems and need to be monitored. In my EPL I am going to get to observe the class when they are working on the computers, the school I am completing my EPL at have software called AB tutor which allows the teacher to monitor all of the students computer screens on one computer all at once so you can keep an eye on students that are doing the wrong thing. The program gives you the ability to block a student and lock their computer if you see them doing the wrong thing. I see this as a great method of keeping a track of where each student is up to with their work.
    Hope this is of help,
    Regards,Ken

    ReplyDelete